Crushing The Myth is a speaker series dedicated to Asian American topics. For August, we’re renting out a Soho rooftop and packing it with speakers, food, drink, and music!
The old “Model Minority” label is outdated and doesn’t reflect modern-day Asian America. So let’s CRUSH the myth, and talk about cultural issues that are important to our current generation.
– Each topic below will be narrated by a speaker through their own story and experience.
– Audience members are encouraged to meet and discuss the stories in between speakers and during the intermission.
When: August 8th, 2019, 7-11pm
Where: Beautiful Rooftop at 46 Howard Street, New York, NY 10013
SPEAKERS FROM 7-8:30pm
* How I Got My Asian American Groove Back (Annie Tan)
* Be different . Be unique. Be You. From Everyday Life to Fashion Runway (Khang Le)
* Adventures in Creating New Work Off-Off Broadway (Ariel Estrada)
INSPIRATION / MOTIVATION
* How A Three Time Survivor Became Every Parent’s Nightmare (Jae Jin)
* How The Japanese Saved Our Craft Cocktail Culture (Christopher Huang)
* My Journey Getting To Woke AF And Why You Should Too (Theresa Yuan)
* Busking & The City (Tammy Ying)
LIVE MUSIC FROM 9-10:30pm
CASH BAR AND NETWORKING ALL NIGHT!
Tickets (Eventbrite only)
$15 Student (with valid ID)
$20 Early Bird (through Friday, 7/25)
$30 General Admission
$50 VIP (includes swag bag & free food!)
Special deal for TAP-NY members: Use CTMxTAPNY for $5 off. Valid for
limited tickets on all levels except student, so get yours early!
This event is presented by Crushing The Myth and co-hosted by Taiwanese American Professionals – New York (TAP-NY).
About Crushing The Myth:
Crushing The Myth is a nationwide Speaker Series that features Asian Americans and allies. We aim to share Asian American stories and perspectives with a global audience while building a strong community of leaders, thinkers, and influencers.
Asian America today is more than just the “Model Minority” label. Let’s stop thinking Asian Americans are one big, stale monolith and start telling Asian American stories that make people LISTEN, LEARN, INSPIRE.